Dana Made It Kids Shorts


shortscollage
Okay, now recently I have been sewing up a few simple items in an effort to try and catch up to my Make The Basics goal. I looked around for a simple shorts pattern and settled on the Dana Made It Kids Shorts.

dana-shorts-9

I am really glad I chose them, Dana's pattern does not disappoint. Although very simple, it is exactly what I was looking for. 

dana-shorts-8

This black pair was made from an old pair of jeans, purely as a test of the pattern. The back pockets were taken from a different pattern and turned out to be too small, but oh well. They are a straight size 4 and they are a great fit. I did change the hem seam allowance to fold 1" twice, so they are a tiny bit shorter.

dana-shorts-6

I was worried they would be too wide but I do like the width and there is some growing room for the summer.

dana-shorts-7

Im not really a big fan of patch pockets but decided to give them a go anyway. On the next pair of shorts I left them off and drafted in some front pockets.

dana-shorts-1

The fabric is Makower Auto Road Signs. A bit of background on this fabric choice :)
Mr Elijah loves road signs, everywhere we drive he points them out. Now he can tell you what the sign says without you reading it! He remembers them so well, it's so fun.

We went on a holiday recently and I found the most gorgeous quilt shop on the New South Wales South Coast, Steph's Patchwork. As soon as I saw this print I knew I needed it. It was a little bit of a splurge for me, but holiday fabric shopping is different right? Haha :) I also purchased the Makower Auto Diagonal Tracks and Benartex Abbey Road.

dana-shorts-2
dana-shorts-3
dana-shorts-4

Haha I self drafted some cargo pockets, didnt stitch them on quite straight... Oh well. I will write about my battle with perfectionism soon.

dana-shorts-5

They are perfect pockets for storing your favourite toy, these shorts have already gotten plenty of use. They do look a bit wild, but I pair them with a neutral tee.

I have a few more pairs of shorts to stitch up for Mr 3, and a whole bunch of other projects in the works.

Before we get to those projects though, the giveaway is open to entries for a few more days! So get to it :)

xx

5 comments:

  1. Holiday fabric shopping is totally different ;) Great shorts, I love them both! I would love to sew some up my my girls are strictly dresses and skirts for the summer. They don't tend to wear shorts unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tested this pattern and love it :) I think the road sign fabric is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that roadsign fabric I need to do some shorts for Max for Christmas. I think the denim ones are really cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric! Roman would go crazy for that. He's always pointing out the signs and traffic lights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Martha Bankson LyleJune 02, 2014 10:42 pm

    I'm having problems with the fit! The waist size in a size 6 won't go over my granddaughter's hips. She's a normal size 6 -- waist 22 and hips 26. Did you not have a problem with that?

    ReplyDelete